Floral Baking - Part 1

My sister-in-law's birthday is coming up, and I have a few ideas for cupcakes to bring to her party. Last year I came to visit for her birthday, and that is when I officially decided I would move to Seattle, so I consider this an extra special occasion! 


I've been wanting to experiment with lavender for a while, and thought the light floral flavor would make a nice spring time cupcake. I read a ton of different recipes, some making a lavender custard to fill the cupcake, some using expensive lavender sugar, and some with actual flowers in the batter. I ended up finding lavender extract at Sur La Table, and combining elements from several different recipes.






Lavender Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting


Cupcakes (makes 2 dozen)


1 stick butter, room temperature
1 1/2 C sugar
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk
1 tsp lavender extract
4 egg whites


Preheat oven to 350. Line your cupcake tins with liners. In a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside. Mix the milk and lavender extract. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture, in 3 parts each. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter until well incorporated. Divide evenly amongst the cupcakes tins, and bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.


Frosting


1 stick butter, softened
16 oz. cream cheese
1 - 2 tsp citrus zest (I mixed blood orange and lemon)
2 -4 tsp citrus juice (again, blood orange and lemon for me)
4 cups confectioners sugar


With an electric mixer, combine the butter and cream cheese until well incorporated. Add the zests, juice, and half of the sugar. Beat until well combined. Continue adding the rest of the sugar until desired consistency/sweetness is reached. 

No comments:

Post a Comment