Happy Pi Day!

To celebrate Pi Day, I decided to make quiche. Ok, quiche isn't technically pie, but it comes in pie form, and I've been wanting to make quiche forever. I was scared of quiche until recently (why younger pickier Jamie, why??) but now I love it, and it's such an easy quick dish to throw together and have on hand for leftovers. Of course, I turned to Smitten Kitchen for a recipe.




Spinach Quiche


1 pie crust
1 3-oz package cream cheese (I doubted I'd be able to find a 3 oz package of cream cheese, but sure enough, they exist)
1/3 C half and half
3 eggs
1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 C grated cheddar
1/4 C grated parmesan
4 to 6 green onions, sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Preheat oven to 425. Prepare the pie crust in a pie plate or tart pan. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in the half and half and eggs. Mix in remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan, bake for about 25 minutes until crust is lightly browned and filling is set. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.




I was a little distracted while making this, chatting with Danielle and Jared (hi guys!), so I completely forgot the salt and pepper (gasp!) and probably should have taken it out of the oven a minute or two earlier, but it's still very tasty. I'm sure proper attention would make it that much better. Sorry quiche, sorry Pi Day. 


Next time, in addition to remembering all of the ingredients, I might add an extra egg or two. I found this more spinachy and less eggy than other quiches I've had, and it couldn't hurt to fill the pie plate higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment