German Pancakes

I've seen recipes for German Pancakes in a couple of different places (sometimes called Dutch Babies). After a failed bread machine cinnamon roll experiment, I needed a quick easy weekend breakfast with ingredients I had on hand. German pancakes have kind of a crepe taste and a souffle texture... definitely different. These were really quick to put together. Next time I'd spruce them up with some sauteed fruit.




German Pancakes


4 eggs
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C flour
2/3 C milk
2 tbsp soft butter


Heat oven to 350. Grease two 9 inch cake pans (or any equivalent size, I used one cake pan and one 8 inch square pan, I'm sure a pie plate would work too...). Put eggs in a blender and select the "stir" option until the eggs are light in color. If you don't have a blender a hand mixer, or just a whisk will work fine.




Switch the mixer to "mix", remove the cover, and add the remaining ingredients. Pour into the two prepared pans. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until they puff and begin to fold, but before they get too brown (mine probably baked a little long). 


I've read many serve with lemon, I served with maple syrup, powdered sugar could work, I'd love to try sauteed cinnamon apples, or even savory toppings!



No comments:

Post a Comment