Rhode Island Pork Pie

First of all, a formal apology for being absent for a little while. I have been in the process of moving my life across the country, currently taking a pit stop in Pennsylvania. 


Second, being home with my mom and not working for the past week, I have a TON of recipes to post. Get ready for a recipe influx!


This Pork Pie recipe comes from my father's friend's mother (confusing, I know). Legend has it, on Christmas morning, this mother would make a pie each for her 5 sons, and they would each eat one for BREAKFAST! I do not recommend this, at all. When I was young, we were a family of five, and would still have leftovers. This certainly isn't health food, but definitely a comforting hearty meal.




Pork Pie


2 pie crusts
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sage
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 C water
1/4 C bread crumbs




Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown the onions and meat in a large skillet. Add the spices then water and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the bread crumbs. Cool slightly, and place in a pie crust. Cover with the second pie crust, crimp the edges, and put a few slits in the top for ventilation. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the pie crust looks done.


Most serve with ketchup, but I think ketchup is whack. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment