Cookies!

I can't believe it's been a month and I haven't posted a baked good! I guess oven temperatures in this CRAZY hot summer has kept me away from my favorite hobby.

If you know me at all, you know I love toffee. I was very excited the other night when I found toffee crumbles in the baking aisle of the grocery store. How long have these been hiding from me?! I decided to make some cookies with toffee and chunks of chocolate.



Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Recipe adapted from here

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C unsalted butter, melted
1 C brown sugar, packed
1/2 C white sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
Toffee bits*

Preheat oven to 325. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugars (you should use an electric mixer, but I was lazy and did not). Mix in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Stir in chocolate and toffee. *I never measure add-ins to cookies, I use the "dump as much as seems appropriate method." Drop spoonfuls on greased or lined cookie sheets (I use a silpat). Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

Disclaimer: I forgot to add in the white sugar... give me a break, it's the weekend. They taste fine, but are a little less sweet than you might expect a cookie.

Verdict: The toffee bits kind of melted into the batter while baking, making the flavor a little less prominent than I would have hoped. I was hoping for a toffee crunch. As for the cookie, this is one of my easy, go-to recipes, but not my favorite. Perhaps I'll test some more and post... Krishnan tells me of some pretentious NY Times recipe that could be coming to the M St Kitchen soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment